View Single Post
Old 12-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
harald

Since adventure games are more or less the only type of games I play, I do occasionally replay them even if they don't offer much replayability.

Of all my friends, I've only managed to convince one that adventure games are worth playing, and even he doesn't like playing without me by his side as support. I enjoy introducing him to my old favourites, while I watch and offer hints if he needs any. It's especially interesting to compare how he approaches the puzzles to how I did myself. Sometimes he gets past my old pitfalls on the first try, and sometimes the most obvious small task stumps him.

When I was young and didn't have many games, or any money to buy new ones, I used to play the ones I had over and over. At the time, that was basically the first two Monkey Islands and Leisure Suit Larry 1. I know, I'm one of those "teenagers who played Larry even though they shouldn't", only that I was barely even teenage at the time.

I'm still tempted to replay a particularly good game now and then, but I usually restrain myself unless I'm sure I've forgotten most of the puzzles. On the other hand, I've noticed the exact same pattern as Venkman - most of the details from games I played during the last years are already gone.

There is a small number of titles that I replay almost regularly. The Monkey Island series is one example. For some reason, I don't want to forget anything about them. Also, the Neverhood and Bad Mojo are two games I sometimes feel the need to re-visit, because of their spectacular atmosphere.

And lastly, I've replayed certain DOS games after soundcard upgrades, to enjoy the improved MIDI music.