View Single Post
Old 12-05-2010, 09:34 AM   #42
Tamiil

**SPOILERS** For Syberia I guess

OK, I replayed Syberia recently, and it reminded me again, why I hate a large number of adventure games. I love that game so much, so these flaws jump out at me even more. Namely, the fact that Kate starts to mess with things that has no context, the first being the factory machinery. It doesn't make any sense for her character.

Secondly, picking up random stuff, again, there's no need for many of the things until later in the game, and she just picks these things up(like the vodka bottle, which was needed much later in the game. It's not like her.). It holds true for a lot of adventure games and it irritates the hell out of me. It pulls me out of the experience. Trace Memory was awesome in that way as it didn't let you pick items up until you encountered the puzzle that required said item, giving it logical context. Why can't more adventure games be like that?

Then there are dialogue trees. My god, why do so many adventure games have to be like that? In almost every case, it causes conversations to happen, that disregards anything that was said before. Again, immersion destroyed. Wallace & Gromit had nice continuous dialogue.

Lastly, the little freedom that is given breaks the immersion....again. More specifically, at the beginning I managed to get into the cave, then a call came describing how mad Kate's boss was, then I went to the church and a call came from my boss, where he heard for the first time what was happening. How could he have been mad about something, that he didn't even know? Why give freedom to go somewhere, if it doesn't make sense to the story?

As you can tell, I'm all about story and I don't want anything to break it. If it means the game has to be super linear, so be it. Syberia for me brought so many flaws that I hate about adventure games together, that I couldn't ignore. In many cases, a game has just one or two of these things and I can live with that, but Syberia had them all. That's why I just "HATE" that game, but also love it.

Last edited by Tamiil; 12-05-2010 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Forgot to put Spoilers warning