View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 07:19 AM   #27
agamerj

Default Got the solution! Your assumptions were right!

Hey guys,

I registered especially to give you some feedback on the sound corruption problem! I hope this is still in time to help you at least understand the problem... I too fell victim to the sound corruption issue in the Adventure Shop Download Version of "The Black Mirror". After contacting their support, Lace Mamba Support, (which Adventure Shop forwarded me to) and all of them telling me it's not their problem, I decided to take matters into my own hands.

I managed to accquire a retail version of the US edition published by The Adventure Company / Dreamcatcher Interactive, which the download version is based off of according to the PDF manuals.

And guess what: after copying over all the gfx1 through gfx6 data files from the retail discs and thus overwriting the data from the download version... NO MORE SOUND CORRUPTION! I only copied over the gfx files, none of the other original files, as they are protected by starforce 3 copy protection and would have caused many more problems with the download version...

The strange thing was that the file sizes between both versions all matched up, so the corruption must really be on the level of single sound files within the archives! I did not do a hex comparison, although I'm pretty sure that would show the corrupted files!!

So this is pretty annoying, huh?! I would suggest all of you complain to the adventure shop to get the publisher to supply them with non-corrupt versions of the files, otherwise every new buyer of this game will be SOL!

I have also contacted Dreamcatcher Interactive, but they are not responding thus far...

To be fair, I have not beaten the game yet, but I had made savegames before several sound crashes and they all work now... Here's crossing my fingers that the rest of the game will work too.

Of course, all of us being forced to buy a second copy of the game is quite rediculous, so we need to give both the Adventure Shop and Dreamcatcher a heads up that their files are broken!

Cheers!