View Single Post
Old 11-28-2010, 07:41 AM   #176
seagul

So another week has passed by and another chapter of Sanitarium should come to an end.
I try to give a little abstract of the chapter, as I see it, but everybody please feel free to add your own thoughts.
For everybody who still misses AFGNCAAP, he said some very interesting things about sanatorium here: http://www.adventuregamers.com/forum...ght=sanitarium
It’s a very interesting discussion – but be aware of massive spoilers!

This chapter was very confusing for me. Till now it seems that part of the game is a dream world and another part is a real asylum. But now at the latest this seems to be impossible.
The chapters located at the asylum have so much fantastic elements (like a mad sanguinary scientist, a zombie girl and a speaking tree) that they or part of them can’t be real.

Let’s start with the amiable zombie girl. She surely knows something and warns Max – it is his (unknown?) enemy who wants to destroy Max. This time it is Max himself who is in danger. It is the first time he has to save himself. But he is aided by some people and a whimsical tree.
They all help him to open the door to the Aztec mausoleum, one of Dr. Morgan’s secret workplaces. There he has to solve another riddle to follow Dr. Morgan in another dream world.

The two main riddles of this chapter involve light. Max needs a prism to create a light key to open the door of the mausoleum. And the Aztec calendar shows the different stages of the sun during day and night. After activating the calendar Max disappears in a flash of light. So light opens the doors/worlds.
It’s interesting what our whimsical tree says:
The light. It is housed within the hearts of ancient, mighty warriors. They alone understand the meaning of sacrifice… My limbs ache to stretch upward into the nurturing sunlight, yet I must remain steadfast… I am he who must remain in place… Greed, pride, evil, these aspects of humanity threaten all life. Thus I remain, and none may pass…
Sounds like the commitment to a noble goal to me.
Perhaps the tree reflects ideas the Max of the real world had in the past: fight for the right thing, not let greed or evil lead himself astray or falter.
In this case the light would represent moral sense and behaviour. Perhaps it even represents the compassion for suffering creatures (as Max showed it in every chapter) opposed to an egoistic behaviour where ones own advantage is the basis for acting (as Morgans showed).