View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #184
Luther10

OK, I've finished the game. Chapter 8 was quite a departure from the other chapters, but it did grow on me, and in the end I do appreciate this change of scenery.

The story overall is spectacular, probably the best since Still Life. Graphics is a bit rough on the edges but it's good enough for this genre. Voice acting is very strong, the best one is probably the actor doing Styles' voice. The soundtrack I do like in general, especially the 2 vocal songs, but the overuse of one particular instrumental track for the majority of the game just doesn't make sense to me.

Big problem in this game is the gameplay. Game is a bit short, and the puzzles are not much of a challenge. The first 7 chapters felt very mechanical. I felt like I was performing the same actions over and over again, traveling back and forth to the same limited amount of locations and clicking on everything just to see if someone/thing new is available to interact with. The beginning chapters especially are painfully slow and the magic tricks, even though I like the idea, were not implemented very well.

Anyway, I do like this game overall (it's good enough to enter my top 50), but just not on par with Ms. Jensen's previous works. Maybe my expectations were too high...

Top 10 adventure games: Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, Heavy Rain, Broken Sword Shadow of Templars, Gabriel Knight 2 The Beast Within, Still Life, Last Express, Sanitarium, 7th Guest, Zork Nemesis