Thread: Mafia II
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 09:36 AM   #36
Crunchy in milk
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
Tommy, he's scum and has no life goals besides money and lifestile. Vito will always be a pawn because... thats what he is... he would never had the guts and honesty to do what Tommy did.

I think the mission where both games connect is very clear about that, the player, playing as Vito has to kill the only emotional atachment we have in that world, because like Vito we are simply a pawn. I think it was a clever meta-reference by the developers.
Which brings me back to, "Maybe I should have played Mafia (1) to really enjoy this title." As an alternate view of an established story, maybe its a better experience.

As a stand alone story/game I was left underwhelmed. Tommy neither evolves or changes (one possible path), nor gets to spiral into a self indulgent crisis from trying to live a life of success based on money/things.

If I went the anti hero path, I'd still have married him to a crime daughter, have him heavily pressured to move up, but be ultimately incapable of doing so due to over spending/poor judgement/bad luck.

His story is as one note as the gameplay often feels.