View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 02:09 PM   #25
Idrisguitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Yes. Unless you're talking about casuals like Drawn, which are not really adventures. The stream of gamers who abandon adventures in favor of casuals is much bigger than the tiny trickle of casuals who might get interested in the adventure genre. To the best of my knowledge, the once popular but far too optimistic view that casual games would act as stepping stones has been abandoned. They are different segments, like Luna said.
i would be an (albeit) slow example of this exception to your rule there. i played and completed drawn, moved onto machinarium, and now am totally enjoying other games like full throttle, beneath a steel sky etc.

it may not be the hardest but this "casual" game helped me get the gist of the mechanics of the genre so i would have more patience and not get frustrated,

since i started with adventures again last month i haven;t gone near a walkthrough, (or even used any of those hints in machinarium (and believe me when i say i forgot most of what i did the first time i played it))

so it definitelly helped my barrier to entry, which i found much too tought last year when i made the mistake of trying the harder games first off.