View Single Post
Old 10-10-2010, 04:33 PM   #965
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idrisguitar View Post
it's my opinion, but people looking for an oblivion/uncharted/gabriel knight from Ms(or mrs?) Jensen are in a pipe dream that will never approach reality.
That's rather presumptuous of you, isn't it?

If you're going to presume that about me and others who feel similarly, I'll then presume this about you: Where is it written in stone, Idrisguitar, that an adventure game, even one by Ms. Jensen, MUST ONLY BE 2D and point-&-click?

The reason you feel that way about adventure games is that you are oblivious of examples of great high budget, high quality real time 3D games with a very strong story, strong characters, and challenges for the brain instead of the thumbs. I don't think you have the imagination to envision a such a game, so I'll give you this:

Heavy Rain: The Taxidermist (part 1)

With the technology and vision today that's the closest we've gotten so far, but it's David Cage's version of one direction a contemporary adventure game could go. Watch the clip to refresh yourselves.

Wanna see another one? Here you go:

Dreamfall: The longest Journey Walkthrough Part 2 (HD)

Want one more example of a high caliber 3D game that focuses on story and cerebral challenges? No problem:

Myst 5: End of Ages Walkthrough - Level 2 - The Lake Puzzle (SPOILER)

Wanna bet that if a large company like Sony, Electronic Arts, or Ubisoft approached Ms. Jensen and offered her the chance to make GK4 with a very generous budget and talented staff she would jump at it? Because that's essentially what Sierra did for her with Gabriel Knight 3. It's really a matter of vision and scope - and reality. A 3D GK4 is far more marketable to a larger audience than a 2D point-&-click, especially on consoles and upcoming platforms like the iPad.

So in summary it may not be possible to have a GK4 on the same level as GK3 was in the late 90s. A GK4 today, given the same luxury of resources and funding that Ms. Jensen and her team enjoyed under Sierra for GK3, would probably approach the level of quality of Uncharted 2 or Heavy Rain. But that entails conditions - the game must be in real time 3D because that's what most gamers demand, thus it's most marketable; it must have some of the best voice actors available; it must be strategically marketed, etc. Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon enjoyed some those perks, remember?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 10-10-2010 at 04:43 PM.