Thread: Lost Horizon
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2010, 02:24 AM   #84
terhardp

I've finished the game yesterday. Though I'm bit dissapointed about a few details, I would still rate the game 4,5 / 5.

As usual, graphic and diverse locations are the main reason why this title caught my attention. I must praise the quality of character models as well as the authenticity of the locations in conjunction with the time setting of the game. Everything is designed with top-quality style. The sound of the game isn't far from its visuals, either. All of the characters sound authentic (well, almost) and mature. The soundtrack is almost of the cinema quality, which boost the Indiana Jones flavour of the whole thing to the maximum. The story itself is decent and drives the gameplay well, though the stunning visuals and audio would make up for its relative thinnes in any case.

Of course, the game has its flaws as well. The most obvious one is very straightfoward gameplay, which makes a rather short game seem even shorter. Not that I'm a puzzle addict, but most of the puzzles are just too obvious, while some are even lame, and unmistakably envoke "Secret Files" games from the same house in that respect. The game features several logical puzzles as well, but they are not too difficult either. I've particulary liked the last chapter of the game, which involve solving the puzzles with the engagement of three main characters in turn.

The other thing that left me a bit dissapointed is humor of the characters. Although rather likeable, Fenton Paddock's humor is a bit harsh at times. Some of his lines are terribly cliched, as well as the temperament of his sidekick, Kim. She is portrayed as the tipical Hollywood adventure movies female companion, constantly oposing to the machismo of the main hero. Still, this is all rather acceptive and in tone with the game and the story, which just doesn't need more complex and wittier characters. In any case, Fenton and Kim are long way from Nina and Max.

To conclude, I would most definitely recommend this title to all fellow adventure games lovers, regardless of their particular taste. It's a solid dose of entertainment with high quality production.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III

Last edited by terhardp; 10-09-2010 at 02:30 AM.