Thread: Lost Horizon
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 11:27 PM   #72
Igor
Jumping peanut on a stick

Lost Horrizon left me mostly positive, but still mixed feelings. On one hand it's a welcome change of pace for a point&click genre.. on the other it never rises above its superficial and cliche plot. Not that it tries to anyway.

At its best, Lost Horrizon is a highly enjoyable fun-ride. The first 2 chapters fly by smoothly and they sport just the right amount of action, cut scenes and puzzles. For me the problems started somewhere in the middle of 3rd chapter.. somehow the game looses its momentum and turns into another "fetch A, give it to B so you'll get C" quest. The plot comes to a halt as well (ok, there is some advancement, but I got the feeling, it's there just to enlongate the game some more). Luckily the game picks up the tempo again in 5th chapter and then just gets better till the end (there's 7 chapters in game).
The beautiful mistic backgrounds in the last chapter kind of brought back memories on The Dig (it would be great to play something like that with modern graphics seen in Lost Horizon)..

So overall, I did enjoy it. For me it's miles above first Tunguska (didn't play the second, since the first one bored me to death) and other recent adventures, such as Runaway, Alter Ego, etc.. However it never reaches the hights of titles such as The Whispered World and Machinarioum.