View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 08:24 PM   #1396
Crunchy in milk
delusions of adequacy

Bioshock (1)

I loved the charm and presentation this game has, the sound especially. The story went places you don't expect a computer game to go but have always thought it was high time publishers did, given the freedom the medium has to offer.

It did seem to suffer a little from the lack of enemy variety. Before you're half way through you've pretty much nailed how to deal with them and even Big Daddy's become minor inconveniences rather than ever present, lethal threats.

I started to run out of steam in Fort Frolic, and didn't really begin enjoying the game again, until the final story arc when we finally got back to witnessing with the impact of ADAM and splicing beyond people just going violently nuts, and back to the original plot arc of Andrew Ryan (the Man) and your place in Rapture.

The insight into the little sister indoctrination and big daddy creation was a real kick in the guts, with a topping of black humour to take the edge off. I could not spend more than a few seconds in their 'rooms' before running out with shudders and a sigh of relief at the chance to kill a weird freak show splicer walking the halls, to distract myself.