Thread: Good thrillers?
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #12
michael1123
Schattenjaeger wannabe

It sounds like you're really new to adventure games, so I'm going to recommend the best of the best, assuming there's a good chance you haven't played them yet. (I also loved Maniac Mansion and Grim Fandango btw)

The Gabriel Knight series - every game in the series is significantly better than every other adventure game ever made IMO. The best story, great characters, brilliant writing. They're my favorite games in any genre, and they definitely meet what you're looking for in terms of creepy mysteries.

Full Throttle - an extremely fun, albeit short, thrill ride that's perfect for beginners

the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney series - real fun. Not exactly thrillers as there's a lot of comedy in them, but they are murder mysteries.

The Longest Journey - one of the best stories in adventure games. A bit slow at times, but more than worth it.

Day of the Tentacle - not a thriller at all, but you mentioned Maniac Mansion and this is its sequel. It's a bit overrated in my opinion, but still a great game.

I also agree with the recommendations on Overclocked, the Last Express, and the Blackwell series. Very atmospheric games.

But I'd stay away from Art of Murder: FBI Confidential. I thought that game was really poorly made, and had absolutely no atmosphere to speak of. (kind of like Dracula Origins, but worse)