View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 04:02 AM   #1975
maladroid
self-distracted

Send a message via MSN to maladroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by haptsonir View Post
No; the game is mediocre in every way. Except reviews.
Including writing, gameplay length and overall production values? I don't think so. One can argue that they didn't find anything appealing to them, that the game does not break any grounds with its lore, story or overall design and probably one million other shortcomings, both major and minor, but to deny it certain virtues (unimportant as they may be to some) seems unfair to me.

This is not to say that it is impossible or a manifestation of heretic behaviour to feel the game is boring or not up to the hype (which should be attributed to both players and reviewers, if I might add), just that there are certain aspects of it that do not qualify as being called "mediocre", in my opinion, even if they are not as effective as intended.

Anyway, to stay on topic: I am reaching the end of Chapter 1 in The Secret of Monkey Island: SE and, while having a good time, there is a persistent feeling of...emptiness in the game's screens. Maybe it's because I have kept it to such a high regard for all those years since I first played it about 11 years ago, but I was under the impression that the level of interactivity with the environment was much higher and varried. Also, the voice overs, although competent enough, seem to kinda lose in wackiness and comedic timing when compared to the silent delivery of the text. Could just be a side-effect of me growing up, although I had replayed the original a couple of times since first contact. Here's hoping for a better impression later on (still haven't met Stan or the canibals).

Proud supporter of Tex Murphy - Project Fedora