View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 02:52 AM   #35
Luna Sevithiainen
Pixiehunter

I have finished this (very, very short) segment for some time now, but until now I hadn't had the time to post my ramblings, so you be warned, here they are.

I think I don't need to add again that the atmosphere is great, something spooky is going on. This isn't your every day asylum. This isn't your every day story. This isn't your every day game. I like how they made the main menu more creepy than a usual main menu. The eyes that follow you, the kid's voice telling you which button you hover over...
(By the way, anyone else jumping up a little bt when putting the disc in for installation and out of the blue hearing someone say Sanitarium? )

The controls...they haven't given me much trouble, they are just...different. It may have helped that I played GK3 just before playing Sanitarium, which also contains mouse-based movement (albeit a bit different), so maybe because of that I was already a bit used to it.

Regarding the point of view/camera: it does feel a bit like everything is happening somewhere far away-ish down there. It does give the opportunity to include a large bit of scenery in one view, but it also makes everything down there so small. (Before seeing the cutscene I thought the base of the satue was covered with some red substance like blood or something). I wonder how that will work for immersion, with things happening so far away (apart from the cutscenes of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira View Post

So far the people you can talk to aren't making any sense. I wonder whether they're there just to get the atmosphere across, or whether their delusions are part of the story and will be explained later.
The 'delusions being part of the story' thought made me think of something. If we assume that our main character may not be delusional, why are we so certain the others are? I mean, granted, they sound a lot more delusional and all like the main character, but if indeed our main character is sane, and he, in all is sanity is seeing the things he does in this first chapter, including a talking angel... If he, in his sanity, sees that, and relays it to others, would they not consider him delusional as well?
Or alternatively, could it be that the other inmates had been there so long that they started to sound delusional, yet that there is still truth in what they are saying, even though it may have come to sound like delusional gibberish over the (possibly) years they have been captured in the tower?

Quote:
Although it is strange that he can't remember anything, while he appears to have been there for some time.
Has he been there for some time? I must have missed out on that bit then...either way, even if he has been there for some time (let's assume that, what with Step's remark on the colour of his trouwers before the crash, he has actually been an inmate for some time), the crash could have easily caused the amnesia he is experiencing now, which sort of makes it logical that his mind is blank.

Quote:
A nice conspiracy perhaps? There's not much to go on yet...
Yes, I like conspiracy theories
My current idea is that our main character is, in fact, sane. He may have lost his memory due to the crash, he may still be in a shock, but he is not delusional. He just doesn't sound that way (yeah I know, great argument, will win in any debate ).

Could his so-called delusions just be a way to shut him up? In the intro he mentioned he found something out. Something that sounded like a huge thing, something that could have something to do with the asylum. Likely something the staff of the asylum does not want to be known. Wouldn't it be the easiest way to give everyone (including the main character himself) the idea that he is in fact delusional, and all he says is made up? That all what he has discovered thus far is just made up by the delusions in his own mind, not something to be trsuted or to be regarded as real? After all, the only one really calling him delusional is Dr. Morgan, and it may seem a bit too convenient that out of all tapes just that one is in the VCR...

Remains of course the question of the colour of his trousers. Either he has been an inmate before, and found something out while being there (but I wonder for what reason he was in the asylum in the first place), or could it be that the staff of the asylum also has that colour trousers, yet with a different colour above what we see in the intro?

And why was he so stupid to drive so extremely fast that made him get in the crash, knowing he had such important info to share? Was he so eager to tell it? Was he followed? Was he pushed of the road? Did someone of the unknown bad guys somehow take over the wheel, and most importantly, the gas pedal?

Something else I've been wondering...in the intro someone of the (I think) staff asks "what to do with that one", to which someone else replies to "leave him, that's the bastard that stole my car". So that would be the reason to specifically leave our main character for dead, but what about the other inmates? Had they done something against them as well, that they could easily be left behind, to die in the tower cells? Or was it normal to leave the inmates, and does our main character have a special status, belonging to a group who usually would be saved, unless of course when they do something bad like stealing a car?

Okay, I have bored you enough with my conspiracy theories now Looking forward to see how the story really evolves.