View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

I can't believe I actually started Uncharted yesterday afternoon and beat it 13 hours later. I played nonstop! It was that addictive, an edge-of-your-seat roller coaster experience. Mind you, it's not a deep, intellectually challenging interactive ride, but it never makes a claim at all to be one. Instead, as I stated, it's in the tradition of the cliffhanger adventure movie, filled with danger, suspense, thrills, spills, and treasure hunting.

I know that it's not the kind of adventure that some of us here at AG would lump into the pile that this site prefers, but I think that's unfortunate and kind of dismissive, IMO, and it places way too much fixation on puzzles and non-action elements. Those things, I think, are only two of many elements that make up an adventure experience (even this site's owner, Marek, once stated that Grand Theft Auto III is itself essentially an adventure game!). Instead, why not also focus on the other categoric adventure elements equally and fairly - exploration, discovery, story, characters, etc.? Otherwise, puzzles and non-action are just arbitrary standards, very unfair. Anyway, I'm not gonna throw anymore fits and obsess over this. I'll not bring it up again in this thread.

Going back to topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
I would add Bioshock, Batman: Arkham Asylum, and Heavy Rain as examples of modern day Adventure Games in this same vein.
Batman: AA is an exceptional example of the amalgam of adventure elements, character, story, and even puzzle solving! Even when the action sequences are many, the game still fills itself with very strong narrative, brain teasing enigmas, and exploration and discovery. Many times it does feel like a typical [non-action] adventure game when you're poking around the island looking for clues to Joker's riddles.

There is intelligence to these games, of a kind you won't find in many other games that feature tons of action, shooting, and such. These games challenge you on many different levels, including teasing your brain.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien