View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 04:14 AM   #3
Roper Klacks

I never played Uncharted (played for a few minutes in a friends PS3 though) and i don't expect to play it in the near future bacause i don't have a PS3. However someday (when PS4 hits the market and PS3 gets ultra cheap) i will probably play it, bacause its a landmark in this decade video gaming industry. And of course its a descendant of my all time favourites series, Tomb Raider and Prince of Persia.

In the good old days video games had clear distinct genres, Doom was a FPS, Monkey Island an adventure game, Super Mario a platformer, etc. Suddenly games like Deus Ex, System Shock, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil started to melt different genres. Deus Ex is an FPS, but it's also an RPG. Tomb Raider is a platformer, but also an adventure game... and so on.

Nowadays, genres are almost irrelevant, games tend to use several different aspects of different genres, and Uncharted is a good example of that, it uses elements from platformer games, adventure games, action games... it's hard to define it, however i feel that Uncharted is more focused on its action elements and not so much on the classic adventure elements.

This site could start to review this kind of games but then we would reach a point when almost all kind of games that have a few adventure elements would be on it, going a bit against the point why we are all here.

This community wants to be informed about the direct descendants of the classic adventure games, that's why it exists. I'm not saying we should ignore or burn other games on the fire, i love all kind of games, but if i want to know more about action games with adventure elements i'll go to a generalist website.