Thread: Three Questions
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #3316
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
1) You've made a horrible mistake! You've been working on a novel for about seven years, and only in the last few days has it occurred to you that it's going to be WAY too long to publish as one book. Do you:
a) edit it mercilessly until you get one rather long but doable novel out of it?
b) pick a spot somewhere in the middle, break it in half, and edit the two halves until they feel like natural twins that the publisher will be driven to publish?
c) break it into three very manageable parts and try to sell it as a trilogy, knowing full well that most first time authors can't sell trilogies to established publishers?
d) split up the three interlocking plots and try to create the illusion that they are three separate books in a series, when in fact they are still the same huge book seen from three different angles?
e) scrap the whole thing and go back to writing sci-fi?
I'd go for option C. The result will be the most readable while it also gives the most satisfaction writing it. Chances that you will publish it are nearly zero anyways so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Quote:
2) You run into an old schoolmate who hears you make music, and wants to jam with you. Problem is, you haven't been playing much, and you know you sort of suck. Do you:
a) practice like mad from now until the date you set?
b) take along your songbook and play him things he won't know how to play?
c) call him on the day and tell him you've contracted something contagious and can't go out?
Of course I'd go for a. He heard me play so apparently he finds me good enough. And I still have my pride.

Quote:
3) You've been waking up early in the morning for months, despite medication to help you sleep better. Problem is, whenever you get up and try to do something constructive, you get tired too quickly and start dragging your butt around all day. Do you:
a) get in the habit of going back to bed after you've worn yourself out a bit goofing off on YouTube?
b) take your meds, make some strong coffee, and push like mad to reach the end of the day?
c) call your doctor and arrange to review your medication until you find a new solution?

Or, you know, something else I haven't thought of?
I would go back to the doctor and explain the problem.

Fun questions Lee. Squinky's questions are still open for answering so I won't come up with new ones.