Thread: Three Questions
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #3315
Squinky
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
1. Say you were casting voices for characters from a region you don't have first hand experiences with. If the choice was between regional accuracy and good acting, which would you choose?
2. What's a good way to appear less intimidating to people without turning into a complete doormat?
3. What's one of your favourite examples of musical humour?
1. I wound up choosing good acting.
2. Wearing clever t-shirts and carrying large brass instruments seems to work, in terms of getting people to talk to me. Being short in stature is also a factor in my favour.
3. The Portsmouth Sinfonia's rendition of Also Sprach Zarathustra always makes me giggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
1) You've made a horrible mistake! You've been working on a novel for about seven years, and only in the last few days has it occurred to you that it's going to be WAY too long to publish as one book. Do you:
a) edit it mercilessly until you get one rather long but doable novel out of it?
b) pick a spot somewhere in the middle, break it in half, and edit the two halves until they feel like natural twins that the publisher will be driven to publish?
c) break it into three very manageable parts and try to sell it as a trilogy, knowing full well that most first time authors can't sell trilogies to established publishers?
d) split up the three interlocking plots and try to create the illusion that they are three separate books in a series, when in fact they are still the same huge book seen from three different angles?
e) scrap the whole thing and go back to writing sci-fi?
2) You run into an old schoolmate who hears you make music, and wants to jam with you. Problem is, you haven't been playing much, and you know you sort of suck. Do you:
a) practice like mad from now until the date you set?
b) take along your songbook and play him things he won't know how to play?
c) call him on the day and tell him you've contracted something contagious and can't go out?
3) You've been waking up early in the morning for months, despite medication to help you sleep better. Problem is, whenever you get up and try to do something constructive, you get tired too quickly and start dragging your butt around all day. Do you:
a) get in the habit of going back to bed after you've worn yourself out a bit goofing off on YouTube?
b) take your meds, make some strong coffee, and push like mad to reach the end of the day?
c) call your doctor and arrange to review your medication until you find a new solution?

Or, you know, something else I haven't thought of?
1. I never have that problem, as you know (most of my stuff's too short), but I'd do a mix of a) and d) -- focus on writing one of the plots, editing mercilessly so it's down to its bare essence, attempt to sell that one, then if it all works out, pull out the other two stories. Alternatively, I'd pick option f) make it a game... but you already told me it's not a feasible solution for you right now, so yeah.
2. d) bring my sousaphone, distracting him from my lack of technical skill by way of "ooh, shiny!"
3. I usually do b), but adding Red Bull to the mix, to the point that I'm known as quite the caffeine junky to those who interact with me in real life. When I was unemployed, I did a bit more of a).

---

1. What's the best wedding you've ever attended?
2. What's the worst wedding you've ever attended?
3. What's the most bizarre wedding you've ever attended?