View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 10:13 PM   #191
SamandMax
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I absolutely loved the full game - I think it'd probably be my early choice for the game of the year if we didn't also have just slightly more brilliant stuff like Mass Effect 2 or Red Dead Redemption - so I'm surprised by how disappointed I was with this DLC. The fluid combat that required a specific timing and rhythm to pull off to perfection in the first six episodes is useless here because the stuff they throw at you is cheap and unfair, forcing you to either rely on one of the many flare guns they keep piling on you or to run to the next safe haven. I'm all for them making this harder but they've relied on the most frustrating and aritificial way of doing it, simply throwing more bad guys, annoying birds and possessed objects at you without any of the balance and polish the full game had.

Plus, as D.C. mentioned, the narrative it's telling is completely pointless. The entire Alan Wake story is based around the Stephen King quote that opens the game: "Nightmares exist outside of logic, and there is little fun to be had in explanations." Yet that's exactly what this DLC is: it exists to shed some light on the somewhat vague ending of the game, which completely goes against everything it and the rest of the game seemed to stand for.

Most people probably wouldn't be bothered by this stuff but I'm really disappointed that Remedy put out DLC that seems to go against so much of what I thought made Alan Wake so great. It's nice to have more content, but I'd much rather wait for a true sequel if future DLC is going to feel this apathetic.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing