Thread: Three Questions
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 04:14 PM   #3205
Squinky
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

1. When I was unemployed, I'd get up around 10-11 AM every day.
2. I'd be willing to try it, but other than the expected uncomfortable adjustment period, I have no idea how much I'd like it.
3. I believe that people, generally speaking, intend to be good people, and believe they are good people, for their own conceptions of "good". This goes for all time periods; the only difference is that the majority's definition of "good" changes.

As for "niceness" (or, shall we say, politeness), that's a very different question. There's a convincing argument that can be made for certain kinds of people (for example, white, heterosexual, upper to middle class folks in the Western world) being "nicer" fifty years ago than they are today, but what that really consists of is everyone following an established social protocol and not rocking the boat by diverting from that. However, if you were different -- a person of colour, or gay, or poor, or trans, or whatever -- people were less kind to you than they generally are today, where many of those old social norms have since been called into question, adjusting to the way the world is quickly changing.

I think you can guess which time period I personally prefer.

---

1. On a scale of 0 to 6, where 0 is a world where everyone is polite and all resentment is suppressed, and 6 is one where everyone speaks their mind, no matter how harsh their opinions may be, what number on the scale denotes the kind of world you'd most like to live in?
2. Is there any reliable way to tell whether people don't like you, or whether it's just your low self esteem imagining things?
3. Could you ever be attracted to someone who didn't like their body?