View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 07:22 AM   #492
J.H
Frak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
Well, narrators came from the text adventures and the graphic adventures of Sierra also included them, since they basically inherited many conventions of interactive fiction.
LucasArts on the contrary used the protagonists to describe to you what you see and what's happening.
Weirdly, narrators did disappear from Sierra adventures after Grabiel Knight 1. I think with King's Quest 7 characters started commenting on everything. I have no idea why this decision was made.

But anyway, if you let the characters comment on every action then you can form a closer bond between the player and the avatar. On the other hand, it seems then like the avatar talks constantly to himself, which may result in weird situations if other characters are around, especially in serious games.
I think the best way to do it in serious games would be to use the style in Broken Sword, how George is speaking in past tense in the background. Or how they did it in Indigo Prophecy, speaking in real time but in their thoughts.