View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #16
crabapple

Most of my disappointments come from enjoying previous games in the series, or by the same writer/developer -- and then disliking the sequel...

Dreamfall (good story, rotten ending, severe problems with gameplay -- clumsy combat, unwanted stealth, repeated timed memory puzzle that was supposed to simulate hacking locks)

Syberia 2 (OK to start with, but it just got more and more depressing as everything that made the first game charming gradually fell apart and you were left with the annoying little toot toot people in their colorless ice world)

Shivers 2 (the first Shivers was so much better, besides which I wasted hours on what turned out to be a dead end due to a bug)

BS3 (keyboard controls were very clumsy, game was obviously designed for a console gamepad, long and unskippable cut scenes when you "died" and were restored to a point before your mistake. And to top it off, the StarForce on the game loused up my CD reader. I was so chagrined about the loss of my CD reader after buying a "legal" version of the game that it put me off playing ANY new adventure games for over a year.)

Paradise (not really a sequel, but I bought it because I'd enjoyed most of Benoit Sokal's previous games. Paradise was buggy, had hotspots show up in the wrong places, and had one of the most unlikable "heroines" I've ever encountered in a game.)

Nikopol (nowhere near as interesting as the graphic novel, and I doubt it made much sense to people who hadn't read the graphic novel)

80 Days (The annoying disco music and the stealth sequence near the beginning put me off of it before I was very far into it. It's one of the few games where my first impression kept me from proceeding with a game.)

And sometimes I'm misled by reviews or favorable opinions in forum posts.

Secrets of the Luxor (It started out well enough, but each level deteriorated in quality.)

Spirit of Excalibur (couldn't get used to the timed game aspect -- things happening all the time while I was trying to think what to do next. Maybe it was malfunctioning on a faster computer than what it was made for.)

Final Destination: The Secret of Larson's Folly (Puzzles were very dry and tedious. Game was 90% reading. Story was poisoned by the annoying assumption that everyone who isn't a Christian is evil and everyone who claims to be Christian is good)

Adventure at the Chateau d'Or (lasted between 1 and 2 hours -- shorter than most of today's casual games, but cost $40 when it first came out)

I haven't played Still Life 2 yet. But if I do, my expectations are so low that I doubt I'll be "disappointed" in it. Annoyed maybe -- I expect it to be a very annoying game.