View Single Post
Old 05-23-2010, 04:51 AM   #22
ADan
overall swell guy

nonax:
"You are however probably right about the US and UK customer because they are not accustomed to subtitles. But it would be widely accepted in countries where subtitles are more common. Maybe these markets could justify the development of a subtitled version. If successful the translation could be re-used for a full voice over."

Fair enough. I can agree with that. But in the case of Edna and Harvey it is still kind of difficult. For me the expression "subtitle" implies that the lines written in the lower part of the screen (or wherever) should say exactly what the actors say. That is just not possible in the game we're discussing here. You would lose ten percent of the jokes.

Of course you still can do it with a "creative translation" as subs but it would still a different thing than traditional subtitles then.

Anyway, as much the gamer wants to get to play the game they are interested in asap ... the decision still lies with the publisher/developer and their partners what they are going for and I suspect they take into consideration all the pros and cons and not only the preferences of a (supposed) minority of gamers.

But, yeah indeed, I can imagine games that are not being dubbed. Should be especially interesting with languages that are somewhat off my realm of experience. Like Polish, Russian or Urdu maybe

Cheers, Dan.