View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 02:44 PM   #70
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes View Post
It's one thing to ignore the obviously deluded and fanatic groups, but the fact is that both sides do have a valid point. Ignoring one group as a whole is not only generalizing and immature, it also alienates a part of your fan base. I don't think that's what they want. Even though financial success is crucial, I'm sure respect in the industry is as important. People constantly preaching against games like Heavy Rain are as fanatic as those who think all adventures should be like that.
I agree about both sides having a valid point. However, developers like Cage and Tornquist and even Tim Schafer have a particularly strong point as developers. They wanted to make the games they envisioned and in order to make them they had to leave behind what they perceived to be constricting conventions, like 2D, point-&-click interface, etc., which free up the games to be interesting to a wider audience. So they chose, and the decisions alienated a certain group. That's unfortunate, but if you as a game designer constantly allow that tiny group to dictate what your game should be, you lose your sense of creative freedom.

Certainly if I were a developer with a vision the last thing I'd want is to be forced by a small group to compromise that vision. To me that's just utterly stupid.

Quote:
To people who hate David Cage for making games like Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain: Don't. He himself has said that neither of the games are adventure, nor were they ever meant to be. When I emailed him 5 years ago, he told me the marketing team is the one to blame for this mislabel. He's just making games he wants to make. If you want someone to target, start with adventure game websites and people who call either one of these games adventure.
Exactly. That's what I meant when I stated that these two talented men should know when to stop listening to such demands and just make whatever kind of game they want to make and many of us will get new and exciting experiences from those games.

Quote:
To people who keep saying David Cage is the future of ags... Move on. It's not going to happen.
I for one don't see Cage or similarly minded developers as THE future of AGs. Instead I see them as JUST ONE AWESOME DIRECTION FOR THE FUTURE OF AGs.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien