View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #57
Sughly

Quote:
Originally Posted by imisssunwell View Post
So yes, it could expand the amount of games available for iPhoneOS environments but I don't expect to see it attract allot of heavy weight titles in the style of Mass Effect.
Ah, nice time to jump in! I think this is more to the point, actually. I think ADan is exactly right in that it will attract more of the independent's and those wanting to try something different, small, unique. I used to think the iPad was absolute rubbish but now I understand - it's a target market .

No, just kidding (kind of), but I do think there's huge potential there. Sooo many people are buying them/have bought them, and from what I've experienced the apps and games seem to be what most users spend their time on. So what better place for AG's to stand out where the Mass Effect's and the God of War's don't belong? This is part of what I mean by indie developers having their 'own thing' now - they don't necessarily need to compete. They are the game that sells for far less than the console competititors and such, and are the games you find on steam, on the app store, etc. I think it's great! Where they once disappeared into obscurity in the PC aisle underneath the million copies of the next firs person shooter and WoW expansions, they now have their own pedastal to show themselves off on. It was a sad time to see the decline in AG boxes on shelves, agreed, but it's better to see them gain more success this way at least.

And as for Monkey Island, I wholeheartedly agree with it being a major positive influence. If anything, it's drawing more people into this market of AG's in digital distribution. As Jacques said, the AG's are all connected with each other, bringing more audiences back into the genre. And so what if they are cashing in on an old franchise? The games were great, they ARE bringing plenty more attention to AG's, and they're updated and adapted - as people have mentioned - to today's standard of playing AG's (which is to have hint systems, improved animation etc).

By the way, thank you to those that brought this back on topic

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance