View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #56
imisssunwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADan View Post
I haven't followed all of the discussion here because it drifted a little off topic but i got from the first page that other platforms than PC have been discussed.

How about thinking about the iPad and derivatives that will follow. I believe those would be a great opportunity to expand the base of AG users.
I reckon that a lot of the "hardware geeks" and "early adaptors" are possibly interested in AGs. Think of an easy to use touch interface, a sufficiently large screen and additional features and functions (3G, 4G, skype mphone, etc ...) and there's a formula for success.
I don't know exactly how things work there but I think Apple must have a real interest in getting good titles for the "skillet" (sorry). So I guess the developer software must be virtually free. I really don't know about those things.
I've heard quite a few people who'd love to see AGs on the iPhone but why would you go for that if you can have a decent screen? And near reasonable ratio , too.

Well, those are my two cents. What do you think of the future of gaming on the pad? I think it could open a whole new market.

Cheers, Dan.
I see the iPad as a potential market for AGs, casual games and cult remakes like Monkey Island remake or FF remake.

The problem I see with the iPad is that while I want to buy one, I don't know what to do with it. At the moment it doesn't offer too much in comparison to an iphone and also my laptop (apple) is really lightweight and it can certainly do everything the iPad does.

It is not a gaming console, it is not a mobile phone, it is not a laptop. I guess I'll just buy it and find out what to do with it later

The Dev Software is, iirc, XCode (which comes with every new mac for free, together with the OS) and the iPhone SDK, which is also free, requiring a mere registration.

So yes, it could expand the amount of games available for iPhoneOS environments but I don't expect to see it attract allot of heavy weight titles in the style of Mass Effect.

In my view iPad is sexy and a worthy gadget but I don't see it replacing my 360 as my main gaming platform.