View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 03:48 PM   #24
darthmaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
Damn! I know I shouldn't ve used the words "the masses" it's like the most snobbish word out there but you hear it so much these days. 'movies for the masses, music for the masses' so I thaught 'why not games for the masses?'
Anyways poor choice of words. Now to get to your point. First of all I'm not basing my entire point on a single encounter I had. When I say 'for example' that's exactly what I mean. It's an example to illustrate my point.

Also I know there are lots of well educated and cultured gamers out there, only problem is they're not in the majority. When I stand in a videostore, wich is where the popular games are sold, the only people I see buying these games are the exact same kind as the two guys I earlier described. And too refer back to that small event: The question I aksed was do we want people to talk about AGs that way? That's a question not a statement. You say yes, okay that's fine. But let me just say if I were the person who designed that game I'd be sorely dissapointed seeing all my work of coming up with a good story and fine puzzles vanish into thin air.

I'm not saying that making games like Heavy Rain is impossible. I haven't played Heavy Rain(kinda hard without a PS3) but I have played Dreamfall and immensely enjoyed it (I remember calling it the best game ever made) so yes absolutely these games should and will be made I just hope they won't stand in the way of the smaller more traditional AGs. Obviously you seem to think not. I hope you're right. I really do

Finally to make it a bit more personal I might have the wrong idea of (let's stick to that awful word) "the masses" as I'm living in a very small town and before that have lived in large city but in a really bad neighbourhood. In fact in our country it's considered a ghetto. So maybe I've just meet the wrong kind of gamers thus far.
Don't worry about the response you got. I agree with your original post 100%. Other people just like to play pretend though, when they examine the masses.

How many of the masses read intelligent books, play intelligent Euro boardgames, or anything involving thinking?

I find that the adventure genre has a ton more heart and soul now than in the coveted and rosecolored view of the 90s that most people have.

Cater to the masses and you get casual games. Not what I am interested in.