Thread: Black Mirror 2
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2010, 01:09 AM   #78
Lacrima

I think your enjoyment of Black Mirror 2 severely depends on how you approach it. I think it feels much more like a spin-off or a game inspired by the first one, than a true sequel. It's got a very different feel, and a very different approach to the plot of the first game - which was obviously necessary, because the secrets of Black Mirror Castle had been revealed to you by the end of the first game and you, as the player, knew much more than Darren at the beginning of the second game. But I think the writer(s?) did quite a good job on that one - only a few marks were missed, but generally, it was a nice take on Black Mirror's story, which I personally didn't even like. I hated the ending of Black Mirror 1, and Black Mirror 2 does not rely and expand upon the supernatural stuff, but rather focuses on the characters, which was a welcome choice for me.
I think making Darren a science student was such a great choice, because he is the last person to believe in such a thing as curses. I would have found the ending truly intriguing if the game had ended before the final cinematic, with Darren's final line
Spoiler:
He said something like it's all just hereditary insanity and not at all real, just people going crazy because of their medieval beliefs. I think this would have made a great twist, if explored even more.

A little bit more focussing in one direction, a little bit more fine-tuning and getting rid of superfluous characters and it could have been an outstanding title. Otherwise, it's a nicely polished, enjoyable adventure with interesting ideas and maybe a promising future for the developer. Still, I would rather have liked them wrapping up the storyline with the second game and creating an original IP, that would suit them more, I pressume, as Black Mirror 2 does not, as said, aim that much at actually capturing the spirit of the first title.

(btw.: I have played the German version of the game, so I do not know how translation and voice acting will affect the English release.)