View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 07:50 AM   #20
UPtimist
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post

I certainly see where you're coming from
I still don't think it looks that bad... Especially the interior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post
But give me Dreamfall and I'm over the moon.
Really? I seem to remember Dreamfall was a bit bland... Or perhaps it has something to do with me having the XBox version. Or maybe the fact that I had thought of it to be a tad newer and have a tad better graphics than it did... But I still seem to remember being a bit underwhelmed by its graphics.

Anyways, in my opinion the issue in 2(.5)D is use of angles and perspectives and such. For example I'm playing GK2 right now and it feels very much more intensive (/immersive) to play when the camera is often very close and there's usually a very limited view (of course GK2 also has a well done FMV, but nevermind that now). It's more intimate. However, usually in adventure games I don't really get that kind of immersion when, even with beautiful graphics and locations, the angles are very wide and just... general. This is where GK3 for example in my opinion excels, the flying camera takes you into the world like no other. You can be exactly how close or far you feel like you need to be. Also, you don't have to rely only on the observations of the character, but you can see for yourself what you're dealing with.

Of course another thing is also interactivity, for example many Sokal's adventures are rather unimmersive because you can't really interact with the world, except for the necessary items. It's very lonesome when you don't get any kind of feedback. On the other hand, being able to look at every single thing (let alone have like five differenct actions) can be very encumbersome (is that even a word?). A balance in between is what keeps you interested.

How does this have to do with anything? It's the very fine balance in good playability. the GKs do this well, especially GK2 and 3 in my opinion, and that's really one thing that I'd imagine also drives away potential players. Especially in the case of virtually no feedback (no "look at" or anything like that, or only the '100% essential' hotspots).

But how is this on subject again?

Last edited by UPtimist; 04-27-2010 at 08:14 AM.