View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 04:52 PM   #17
Sughly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ince View Post
Even in the wider gaming world things are tough. Only the other day Sega announced it was laying off 80 staff. Companies are closing or seriously down-sizing with frightening regularity.

Having said that, however, we've seen some encouraging signs in the last year that the adventure genre can take encouragement from, so let's hope it continues.
Sorry if this is going off topic in a way, but I really agree with this and wanted to elaborate.

I think the Sega news was very depressing indeed, and although it's very well just an excuse to downsize, the leading reason was one of focussing on digital distribution. Now I'm no expert and haven't dealt in the industry myself at all (yet! ~hopefully), but it does seem from research that I've done recently that digital distribution is huge, and it's easy to see with portals like Steam, it's undeniable. And at the moment, games like Machinarium are capitalising on that with it's well positioned pricing, and I think this is what Steve might be referring to in terms of seeing some recent successes.

I've found an overwhelmingly positive reaction to the game, in all kinds of forums and mainstream gaming websites. Is it 3D? No. It is in my opinion utilising it's position as a low budget indie developer and making the most of what it can produce. And the results are pitting it up against some of the best, with Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences nominating them for an interactive achievement award nomination in art direction against assassin’s creed 2, modern warfare 2, resident evil 5, and uncharted 2. Of course also winning out the excellence in visual art award at the 11th igf awards, on an independent level, but seriously - a game made by 7 people, selling for what, 15 pounds, is in the same catagory artistically as these titles with budgets way beyond theirs.

I think Machinarium is proof of adventure gaming's position in the market, and I think bringing in the tired old 3D and 2D debate isn't necessarily the point. The point is, as Steve says, money and what they can afford, and I think at this stage 2D is beginning to prove it can be done extremely well, on low budgets, and still reach a big audience. If it wasn't the overwhelming positive reactions I saw in Machinarium, it was actually a rising demand from players to see more 2D. And I think it was precisely this that attracted many to Machinarium in the first place. Adventure games are offering something considerably different to mainstream games, and I think having a look that is distinctly different can only make it more appealing as the 'something else to turn to when they get sick of the mainstream'. Bit of a blunt way of putting it, but I've blathered on enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ince View Post
The problem with 3D when it first started taking off was that it was difficult to get real background and character quality. 2D painted backgrounds or pre-rendered 3D backgrounds gave a much higher visual quality, which is what adventure players had come to expect. Full 3D wasn't a good option for most adventure developers.
Included this as a bit of an end note. It reflects what Amanita Design are doing today I think, and is still largely relevant. Also, I will happily admit, I was looking for an excuse to reply to a Steve Ince post. You're quite a role model and inspiration to my efforts

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance