View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #16
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
It's nothing more than I sense I get from the various gaming forums I visit. People are getting tired of yet another WWII shooter, or one where you shoot zombies or where you shoot aliens. There's nothing beyond the shoot and duck for cover mechanic and some people are getting bored of it. Some are turning towards Action RPGs such as Mass Effect/ME2 and Fallout 3. They are looking for more than just mindless shooting.
I bet many of those gamers are absolutely loving Heavy Rain, then. It's not in first person, of course, but it offers a startlingly different and challenging take on what a game is traditionally supposed to be.

In which case, it seems to beg the question. What can the adventure game offer these gamers that would thrill and challenge them that the current glut of zombie/space marine/WWII shooters can't? Besides converting to real time 3D, wouldn't the adventure game have to have a major makeover in terms of gameplay and exposition? Or should it stay fundamentally the same?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien