View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #14
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
There is a fatigue starting to settle in among many gamers with regards to First-Person Shooters. These gamers that are getting bored with FPS are looking for new and interesting kinds of games to play. This is where AGs can step into, but only if they embrace 3D.
Is your take on this based on anecdotal evidence? It would be interesting to do a huge poll on this and find out what many gamers are thinking today. In another gaming forum where I moderate someone started a thread with a similar topic, stating that the FPS as a genre seems stuck in a rut. There are some titles that offer a fresh take on it, though. Mirror's Edge and Bioshock are two that come to mind. But I can see where he's coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldO View Post
That would be awesome, but I think that's too much wishful thinking. There's a big jump from FPS to AG. FPS today are mainly multiplayer games with emphasis in group play. Sure, there are other kind, but right now the really popular ones like Team Fortress 2, Modern Warfare and Bad Company series are mostly multiplayer games. I can easily imagine bored FPS players switching to other kind of multiplayer or action games but not to adventure.
But there's also a recent trend in co-op multiplayer, like Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2. So we can at least say there's some variation on the experience. But I think for the most part there does seem to be a hitting the wall in terms of offering new kinds of gameplay experiences in first person.

One [potential] problem with getting FPS fans to appreciate adventure games in first person is the deliberately slow pace. Adventure games typically rely on more cerebral challenges and exposition - puzzles, dialogue, cutscenes. Those traditionally demand us to slow down and observe.

And I think that's where games like Bioshock and Mirror's Edge come in. In many ways they're not so much FPSs in the purest sense (i.e. like the Unreal games or Quake series), but more action/adventures in first person view where sometimes you really must slow down and figure things out. As well, RPGs like Fallout 3 and Oblivion act the same way, but of course with the amalgamation of stats management, leveling up, and weapons tweaking. But they also offer features adventure games have - exploration, story, puzzles, dialogue options.

Getting back to Heavy Rain, though, one game that it reminded me of is Silent Hill 2 - lots of in-game cutscenes, a very realistic art direction, and cinematic camera angles and positioning to help frame the story emotionally and psychologically.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien