View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 10:20 AM   #6
booB
Junior Mint

Phantasie - a not-very-well-known RPG from the early 80s which was my introduction to RPGs, which would eventually become my favorite genre of games for a long time. It was also one of the earliest (if not the FIRST) tactical RPGs, although you never see it cited as such, because no one's ever heard of it.

King's Quest III - a text adventure with graphical gameplay! I was hooked!

Maniac Mansion - King's Quest III, but you don't have to do any typing! And, the first game to genuinely make me laugh out loud on a regular basis! Awesome!

The Longest Journey - the first AG I ever played which starred characters that sounded like real people, in real situations, who I could actually relate to. Witty, not cartoony, and with plenty of dark humor. It was like playing a season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Diablo - extremely dark atmosphere + action gameplay + RPG + plenty of loot so you always feel rewarded for your accomplishments = a winning combination. Very few clones actually get it right.

Prince of Persia (original) - my first puzzle platformer. Fully action-oriented gameplay plus problem solving. The newer installments, as awesome as they are, still have not nailed the puzzle elements of the original.