View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 12:45 AM   #6
Steve Ince
Writer-Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Well, Steve, it seems we're going with the "if money were no object at all" mode here. We know it's never gonna happen any time soon, but it's at least nice to daydream.
The original question seemed pretty serious, so that was the intention of my response. Money is never "no object at all" unfortunately, and it's increasingly important to all projects. Even in the wider gaming world things are tough. Only the other day Sega announced it was laying off 80 staff. Companies are closing or seriously down-sizing with frightening regularity.

Having said that, however, we've seen some encouraging signs in the last year that the adventure genre can take encouragement from, so let's hope it continues.

Quote:
I'm wondering that if many adventure game developers had chosen to embrace real time 3D at its advent (late 90s), along with progressive and even innovative game design, and most emphatically more aggressive marketing, and joyously kept at it, the adventure game genre today would be at a level where developers can actually afford to license top of the line graphics engines or create their own engine from scratch. Hmmm, I do wonder...
The problem with 3D when it first started taking off was that it was difficult to get real background and character quality. 2D painted backgrounds or pre-rendered 3D backgrounds gave a much higher visual quality, which is what adventure players had come to expect. Full 3D wasn't a good option for most adventure developers.