View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 09:58 PM   #35
seanparkerfilms

Scratches did have some truly amazing scare moments though. The fact that they were few and far between was definitely a crucial aspect to their effectiveness, but that bit in the furnace was a good example of a "jump" (or pop-out scare) moment that was completely justified.

I hope that this new game has some great scary payoffs to all the unsettling atmospheric dread as well. I don't think anyone should be worried about Agustin & co. going the route of cheap scares though. I mean, come on, give the guy a break! Scratches was likely the best horror experience, in any medium, I've ever had. Granted, I'm not a fan of the horror genre in general, but it definitely got me interested in playing other scary games — been working through Barrow Hill on and off for several months now, and am thinking about trying the Dark Fall series. Whoops, there I go on a tangent.

As for the 3D-esque thing, sounds great to me. While I understand why gamers would resent something that's too powerful for their machines (and adventure gamers are particularly notorious for not keeping their computers up to date, myself partly included), I think it's entirely up to the developers to choose what technologies they believe will best serve their artistic vision, and if it excludes some from being able to play until they get a better system, so be it.

Although I believe art should be enjoyed by many, I think it's more important that it not be stifled.