View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 09:09 AM   #14
cbman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzosports View Post
I don't see how an RPG could possibly be non-linear. I'm kinda surprised at the grumposity. I definitely embrace such a good designer branching out.

I don't like linear games that much either, but I'd wait to see it to see if it works. I also think the Dark Fall series would be the best place to stick to the format, but since he already diverged into third-person with Lost Crown 1, I don't see a reason to not use that series to experiment.

I think you're confusing two seperate points. Some people (like me) are complaining about his apparent belief that modern gamers don't like non-linear games (hence his decision to make Lost souls a 'driven' game) whereas others ae complaining about a seperate thing he said about the Last Crown supposedly having RPG-like elements.

Personally i quite liked the idea of what he said about the latter. Although he personally used the term what he described didn't sound very much like an RPG to me.

Quote:
I'll probably still buy it, since "Lost Crown" is my favorite game of all time, but the last few attempts by Boakes have really let me down...(Lost Souls and the revamp of Lights Out).
There were some good things about the revamp of Lights out but more bad in my opinion. It was made with this same mentality Lost Souls was made with: modern gamers are more stupid than in the past and need to have everything spelled out for them. Also, the changes were made too carelessly and so certain parts of the game no longer made any sense.