View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #18
Monolith

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
You might say the characters in the movie were well rounded (I disagree) but they sure weren't anything like the characters from the novels! Holmes intellect had been donwsized to an absolute minimum while his fighting skills were at the center of the movie opposed being used every now and then as in the books. His relationship with Watson wasn't anything like in the books as well. I certainly did not recall Watson punching Holmes in the nose! And then there was the awfull interaction between Holmes and Adler who, I might add is nothing like in the story (A Scandal in Bohemia) as well. And finally humor? Since when is that important in a Holmes story? The Conan Doyle stories don't feature a lot of humor and nobody complains about them

And I guess that's a personal opinion but I thought the ending of Jack the Ripper was one of the the best endings ever! I liked the AL ending as well

Enough examples for you? By the way I find the games exhilarating from beginning to end. They may not be blockbusting rollercoasters but then neither are the books. In fact when I play them I get the same feeling as when I'm reading the stories I so love and cherrish and personally I found the movie extremely boring and sleep provoking!

It might have been a good movie (just not for me) if it weren't called "Sherlock Holmes" if you give a movie a title like that you attract a certain audience with certain expectations. And if you do you'd better live up to these expactations and this movie certainly didn't do that for me!

As a final note: if you don't like the games that's fine and completely understandable. After all it's all a matter of taste but then why do you keep playing them? I mean I don't like the movie but if there'll be a sequal I sure won't go and see it.
In terms of fighting. In The Sign of the Four, Holmes introduces himself to a prize-fighter as: “The amateur who fought three rounds with you at Alison’s rooms on the night of your benefit four years back.” McMurdo responds by saying, “Ah, you’re one that has wasted your gifts, you have! You might have aimed high, if you had joined the fancy.” In “The Adventure of the Empty House”, Holmes tells Watson how he used martial arts to overcome uber-villain Professor Moriarty at the Reichenbach Falls. He states that “I have some knowledge, however, of baritsu, or the Japanese system of wrestling, which has more than once been very useful to me.”

In terms of Intellect. Holmes is a heavy cocaine addict.

In terms of humor. You are a joke. Humor adds depth to a character. Based on how many times I talked about Depth in Character, this is the very thing that makes a character who they are. If they have no humor, the character shouldn't be stale, but cold to other characters. If a character is a coke addict and witty, they should be intelligently funny. Doesn't matter if Doyles didn't have humor, it doesn't make it any less important.

I guess its just the fanboyness coming out from you that made you think the film is so bad. You got to realize that some people have different visions for a certain subject. And in my OPINION, the film was great.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/