View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 07:30 AM   #17
gray pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Yeah, the Sherlock Holmes film was horrible. It had a well rounded story with great visuals, deep characters, humor, action, adventure, and more.

It needs to be more stale with a dash of "Really, that's how it ends?" like Jack the Ripper and Arsene Lupin.

Not to mention Frogwares great attempt at Humor in jack the ripper. It was SO HILARIOUS! /sarcasm

So before you all yell at me. Please state examples of why the film was so bad. By comparison, it was the best representation of Sherlock Holmes. Not to mention, at least the story was quite compelling to the very end. Something no game has ever done.

Maybe you guys should stop protecting your stale/generic representation of Sherlock Holmes.
You might say the characters in the movie were well rounded (I disagree) but they sure weren't anything like the characters from the novels! Holmes intellect had been donwsized to an absolute minimum while his fighting skills were at the center of the movie opposed being used every now and then as in the books. His relationship with Watson wasn't anything like in the books as well. I certainly did not recall Watson punching Holmes in the nose! And then there was the awfull interaction between Holmes and Adler who, I might add is nothing like in the story (A Scandal in Bohemia) as well. And finally humor? Since when is that important in a Holmes story? The Conan Doyle stories don't feature a lot of humor and nobody complains about them

And I guess that's a personal opinion but I thought the ending of Jack the Ripper was one of the the best endings ever! I liked the AL ending as well

Enough examples for you? By the way I find the games exhilarating from beginning to end. They may not be blockbusting rollercoasters but then neither are the books. In fact when I play them I get the same feeling as when I'm reading the stories I so love and cherrish and personally I found the movie extremely boring and sleep provoking!

It might have been a good movie (just not for me) if it weren't called "Sherlock Holmes" if you give a movie a title like that you attract a certain audience with certain expectations. And if you do you'd better live up to these expactations and this movie certainly didn't do that for me!

As a final note: if you don't like the games that's fine and completely understandable. After all it's all a matter of taste but then why do you keep playing them? I mean I don't like the movie but if there'll be a sequal I sure won't go and see it.

Last edited by gray pierce; 04-10-2010 at 07:45 AM.