View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #32
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
....it's story-before-gameplay
I was thinking it's story-AS-gameplay. That the story itself is the "puzzle", your emotional connection to the characters as the motivation to take on the challenges, and your gut reactions or instincts, influenced by your emotional connection to the characters, as the tools to try and solve the "puzzle".

I haven't completed the game yet (left off at the end of the chapter with Shelby visiting someone at that fleabag residential hotel). But so far my experience has been as I described above.

Quote:
It might not even be an Adventure Game, but it's close enough for my tastes, and gets closer to where I think AGs are inevitably going, anyway.
I'm inclined to say that it's not an Adventure Game according to the popular and conservative definition of what an Adventure Game is supposed to be.

I don't remember any big controversy about that game Shadow of Destiny/Memories, and it was featured and reviewed here at AG without question. But that game shares similarities with Heavy Rain in that your actions and decisions expand, contract, and otherwise manipulate the details of the overall story. And yet the game is still challenging as any other kind of bona fide adventure game could be.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien