View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 02:41 AM   #23
thejobloshow

Quote:
...games could not be high art, as I understand it.

How do I know this? How many games have I played? I know it by the definition of the vast majority of games. They tend to involve (1) point and shoot in many variations and plotlines, (2) treasure or scavenger hunts, as in "Myst," and (3) player control of the outcome. I don't think these attributes have much to do with art; they have more in common with sports.
- Roger Ebert

No matter how narrow minded the argument, there's a kernel of truth... There have hardly been video games released as the intention to be high art... or equally seen as high art.

Sure there's 'new media' art but not even Heavy Rain or even something like Facade or Flower be seen in the same light or the same 'cultural value'(?) as a Duchamp or a Lichtenstein without producing some sneers and giggles at the notion.

It's really odd though because there's no problem with claiming video game music as art or pixel art... as art. However, a big stink is caused when interactivity enters the equation. The answer is - of course, there probably is and will be video or computer games that will be pure art. It's not really something I worry about though - but it would be cool to one day go into an art gallery or museum to view a great interactive digital art exhibition, which is what the movement will be called undoubtedly.