View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #1263
DustyShinigami
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
At that time, FPS's were all using the same storytelling technics, invented by id. A series of levels with a bunch of enemies, and the story was told by rudimentar cutscenes or more commonly with text, most of them didn't even have a narrative and plot.

Half-Life was one of the first FPS to use environmental storytelling and a non stop direct narrative. The plot was not described to you, but rather lived by you. Well you played it so you know what i'm talking about. That was so new and so bold at that time.

Then similar games started to do the same (Deus ex, System Shock 2 and more recently Valve's Portal and Left 4 Dead, Bioshock). I think its hard to acomplish this kind of technique thats why so few managed to successfully recreate that.
I completely get and understand what you mean and where you're coming from. I wouldn't worry too much as my feelings towards the game's story/narrative aren't really fiery or anything. I appreciate and understand that this was pretty much the norm for FPS back then. And at least Half-Life has more of a plot than the original DOOM.

Quote:
I've been waiting for sooo looong. I guess they plan to release it before the summer, but we never know.
God, I sure hope so. That, as well as Gray Matter, Monkey Island 2: SE, and Alan Wake would sure make my year.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour