View Single Post
Old 03-27-2010, 11:50 PM   #70
stepurhan
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes View Post
I'm a lil surprised that so many of you don't care what genre a game falls in. A good game is a good game, but that's a matter of an opinion. Genres are there for a reason; Someone who doesn't enjoy playing car racing games will not purchase such a game for himself, no matter how good the graphs or the "story" is, for one single reason: the emphasis is on driving a car. So yes, it makes all the difference in the world, which genre the game is in.
But that only applies if a game definitely fits in a particular genre. (in which case there is nothing to argue about) But what if a game only has some car racing sections? Or a choice to solve certain sections by car racing or using your wits? Suddenly it's not clearly a car racing game and doesn't fit into the car racing genre. The inclusion of car racing elements may still be enough to put some people off but those willing to tolerate some car racing (not a genre they buy but not something they totally hate) will buy the game for the other elements if they are good.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree