View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010, 05:26 AM   #20
Ascovel
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sik View Post
What are you dying to see in a point and click game? Why?
More interactive environments, and an advanced interface to go with it. Not necessarily full 3D, physics and stuff like that, though. I just want to have fun exploring the game even when I'm not working on a puzzle. I'd like to see a step back from the smart cursor and three-hotspots-per-screen-so-the-player-doesn't-get-confused gameplay. Leisure Suit Larry 7 - Love for Sale had the perfect adventure game interface in my opinion. Hotspots for whatever it would make sense to look at, or interact with. Multiple actions for each of them. Even text parser input if those weren't sufficient, and most important of all, intelligent feedback for whatever you try (as intelligent as can be expected from an LSL game anyway).
It's not wise to create games like that nowadays. Gamers have so many game titles to choose from that they don't want to be cast into setting full of interactive details, they want the games to constantly point the direction of the story, so they can move quickly towards the end and see if the game was actually worth their time.

Players will get only annoyed by games that include lots of hotspots and a variety of actions which are neither very helpful, nor required to finish a game. Even if these elements can add a lot of personality to the world and characters, most players will give up on the game long before they could start appreciating that.

The only situation you can hope the player will want to really invest time in your game is when you have a big franchise on your hands, or you are a really well established creator. At the moment, among adventure game franchises I think only Monkey Island would have a chance of pulling off this kind of thing.