View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 02:00 PM   #179
Luna Sevithiainen
Pixiehunter

So about the public transport system:

48 euros is still cheaper than the expensified public transport now, so don't do it
As for the current system: I shall try to keep my rants about the public transport chip short. Let's just stick to that it is a system that is not working, yet costs way more than the old system.

Now, I got the chip card of doom, so I am bound to use it (byebye money and sanity), so I am not completely sure about the other options, but as far as I know, in the metro you can only travel with th the chip 'o doom (now with extra added gates of doom that slam shut in your face when the light is green and the message is Goodbye, because why would you keep in mind that it sometimes is busy at the metro stations? Surely people would not want to be at work at regular times?).

Luckily you are saved from this, because trams still also use the good old 'strippenkaart', as well as the chip o' doom. At no cost go for the chip system, it is way more expensive, (although they lied that it would be same price at most, on short distances it would even be cheaper. Funny enough 2.7 km is apparently a very long distance, because it got more expensive than it used to be) and you also risk encountering a check out thing that is broken, so you pay 4 euro for the trip (when you check in, 4 euro is taken from the money on the chip, and when you check out they return the money you payed too much. Of course some of the check out systems do not function properly so you loose the 4 euros anyway.). (And then there is the logic that you pay more in some trams than others, although you travel from the exact same location to the other exact same location, what's even more weird, when you take tram 5 from Amsterdam Centraal to the Leidseplein, you pay less than when you take that same tram 5 from Leidseplein to Amsterdam Centraal.)

But, to come back to your situation: you can still use the strippenkaart, but I am not sure what variant would be cheapest for you. I could always use the cheapest because I'm a student (that, or I'd travel for freeee ), so I'm not really sure about the others...Come to think of it...maybe they can only give out chip cards....

Conclusion: sorry, I don't really know. I guess I just had to rant about the system