View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 09:01 AM   #33
RxBandits123

Heavy Rain is definitely a hybrid game that has many elements of an adventure game. To me if you consider silent hill: shattered memories an adventure game then you would have to put heavy rain in the same category. Both games have puzzles in a sense but they dont hurt your brain, they are more streamlined to keep the pace of the story moving quickly. I mean no matter how easy and obvious some the puzzles in Heavy Rain are, such as the origami book in the hosiptal scene, they are still puzzles. Heavy rain also has "hotspots" like traditional adventure games. so:

Adventure genre:
-Hotspots
-Observational puzzles
-character interaction and dialogue choices (could also be in rpg genre)
-story is main focus
-no traditional action segments

Not in a traditional adventure game:
-QTE sections
-Moral decisions (well not to the extent

I would call the game an interactive movie but i feel that genre would fall into the adventure category. I think the problem most people have is that the moral decisions kinda take the place of traditional puzzles in this game. The QTE action segments are in a category of their own and that is also something that makes it not a straight up adventure game.

so my point is...which is what has already been said is that this is a hybrid adventure game with additional elements more aligned with your typical thriller film.
Hybrid adventure games i can think of would be: Dreamfall, SH:Shattered memories and Heavy Rain.

also to Ascovel, i read the What is an Adventure Game definition in your sig and under those rules I guess you would have to classify this title as and adventure game. And name me an rpg game that has a scene as meaningful as Heavy Rain's murder. I mean every rpg i've played consists of gameplay where you will kill hundreds of people so if there is a scene like the one in heavy rain it wont have any impact because your character literally killed 200 people before that.

Recently finished or playing: Sam and Max episode 2, Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake, Fallout 3, Alpha Protocal.

Last edited by RxBandits123; 03-22-2010 at 09:13 AM.