View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 07:51 AM   #16
thejobloshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
I would say that the comparisons to Dragon's Lair are lazy and only superficial. Dragon's Lair used a series of QTE's with only one possible path.If you choose the wrong option it was game over. The game played the exact same with every playthrough. In fact normal QTE's, that people keep saying this game has in spades, all have fail states like Dragon's Lair, this game doesn't. (I.e Fail to hit X and you die or have to start again. in Heavy Rain Fail to hit X and you get a different outcome and the story continues.)
I definitely don't think this game is on the same level as Dragon's Lair - but do believe one was the precursor to the other no matter how apprehensive David Cage finds that notion. I think Heavy Rain is very revolutionary in its own way in terms of interaction (the implementation of the controls was amazing) and storytelling AS WELL as pushing QTE gameplay forward. I don't mean it as an insult even though that's been the big nitpick from the cynics - I love interactive movies, have been waiting forever until they got a good rap and surprised it took so long to take the genre to this really smart level. Quadratic should celebrate that - Heavy Rain is the type of game that will attract new gamers while still earning respect from the core gaming crowd.

In terms of the definitions, Little Big Adventure and Twinsen's Odyssey fit the description AdventureGamers provides as well and it's a shame they're considered ACTION-adventure exempting them from getting their own reviews here. However, this post was a reaction from the gaming journos saying Heavy Rain reminds them of the very specific category of point-and-click adventure titles. I didn't see that.

And Kurufinwe I don't find the old games THAT frustrating! I wish I had the time today that I did back in seventh grade to spend a year playing a game like Leisure Suit Larry 7. lol