View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #228
fov
Rattenmonster

I finally finished chapter four tonight. It's a long one and I have many frustrating memories of getting stuck. This time I forgot to

Spoiler:
talk to the museum lady after learning about the diary and the lost opera, so I went back to Neuschwanstein and clicked on all the tour tapes for good measure. Once I realized I had to talk to the museum lady I was able to finish it quickly.

I've played the game so many times I know everything that needs to be done, but I still love experiencing the story as it unfolds...

Something I never realized about this game before is how few puzzles it has -- it's really an interactive story and most of the actions you do drive the story forward, as opposed to the game blocking you until you solve a tangentially-related brainteaser. Gameplay that's embedded into the story is the type I enjoy most, so I guess it's no wonder this is one of my favorite games.

The opening movie from chapter 5 has always been a favorite of mine, although after watching it again, I can't say I'm all that comfortable with the role of Detta.

Spoiler:
Is she Von Glower's girlfriend? A groupie? A hooker? It doesn't seem to take much convincing on Von Glower's part to get her to go to bed with Gabriel... it sheds some interesting light on both Gabe's and Von Glower's characters, but she's just a prop, an object -- dunno, maybe I'm surprised a woman (Jane Jensen) who usually has such a good grasp of character would write a female character who's so one dimensional.

At the end of the opening movie

Spoiler:
when Von Glower walks in and looks at the talisman, then fingers Gabriel's hair... deliciously creepy. I'm curious if other people think Gabe was aware of that or not. It seemed too quick after Detta's leaving for him to fall deeply asleep, but if he knows what Von Glower's doing, I'd expect him to be a little more creeped out by it than he appears to be...

The relationship between Gabe and Von Glower is one of the most interesting elements of this game, IMO... looking forward to the final two chapters (the best!) to re-experience how it all plays out.