View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 03:09 PM   #216
DaveyB

I'm ready to go on - hope I can manage to keep up for the last two chapters!

Great analysis of Chapter 4 from Andreas - indeed, in both chapter 2 & 4, there aren't many puzzles, and I don't think that causes a problem. As Andreas writes, artificial puzzles aren't necessary so long as there's enough detail & depth to the storyline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Allow me a personal note. I don't if Ludwig was really gay, and it doesn't matter at all. However, The Beast Within was released in 1996 and the fact that it depicts Ludwig as a gay man who was content with his sexuality
I doubt Ludwig II was "gay" in the "straightforward", modern meaning of the world, but then I certainly don't think he was conventionally "straight" either. I think a mix of feelings (bisexuality if you like, with romantic attraction to young men fulfilling "heroic-type" roles. Reminds me in some ways of the impression I've had of Oscar Wilde, lived at similar times, though obviously in rather different societies ) together with Catholic guilt ended up with a lot of surpressed feelings, and nobody will ever know the full picture.

But I wonder where/why you believe that GK2 did portray him as a gay man - personally I'd say it portrays him as I've suggested above, with the wolf aspect adding additional uncertainty.

Quote:
and it explains so thanks to Joseph Dallmaier, another gay character,
Yep, I also presumed that was the intended meaning with Dallmaier's "Yes, I can identify with him" comment.

Quote:
is, in my opinion, and considering how gay characters are still treated in the vast majority of video games, another tremendous achievement for Jane Jensen
Agreed. It's also impressive that it's all presented in a very "matter of fact" way as opposed to anything sensationalist. Can't think of many other games that have managed anything very similar.