View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #14
Sik

What is your favourite point and click adventure game? Why?
I don't know about favorite, but the one I enjoyed playing the most was probably The Longest Journey. It's not the best adventure game I've played, but when I tried it, I hadn't played an adventure game in 5 years or so. I also thought it was a children's game for some reason, but bought it on a whim. It made me fall in love with the genre all over again. After playing it I replayed most of the classics, tried out a few I'd missed out on, and found a few gems among new adventure games as well.

Which game do you think has the most appealing artwork? Why?
The original EGA version of Loom. I'm just amazed at what the artists managed to do with the technology available to them. I usually draw the line at 256 color VGA graphics for how dated a game can look while still being immersive, but the original Loom is just gorgeous.

Which game do you dislike the artwork of the most? Why?
Simon the Sorcerer 3D and Still Life 2. Both for the same reason. Never change the graphics in a sequel in a way that makes it look worse than previous games in the same series.

Are there any point and click adventure games where you get very lost into the world created? Why do you think this happened?
Do you mean lost as in "I need a map! NOW!" or lost as in immersed to the point where I forget I'm playing a game? Come to think of it, the answer is no to both, so it doesn't matter, but I think Grim Fandango is the adventure game where I've found myself the most immersed, followed by Dreamfall. Any game with an epic journey where the progression through the journey feels natural, really.

Which game do you think had the most impressive scenery/environments? Why?
Dreamfall. I usually prefer 2D/2.5D because it allows more detail in scenery/environments, but Dreamfall brought that kind of detail into a full 3D world. I had to save often while playing it in case I triggered story progression before getting to see everything in an area.

Who is your favourite point and click adventure game character? Why?
Gabriel Knight. Such a well balanced personality.

Which character do you dislike the most? Why?
Oscar from Syberia. Every conversation with him throughout the first game annoyed me, and every puzzle he was involved in seemd like a roadblock rather than an organic part of the story.

Which character do you think is most "stylish"? Why?
Ben from Full Throttle! He's in his own league of cool when it comes to computer game characters.

What are you dying to see in a point and click game? Why?
More interactive environments, and an advanced interface to go with it. Not necessarily full 3D, physics and stuff like that, though. I just want to have fun exploring the game even when I'm not working on a puzzle. I'd like to see a step back from the smart cursor and three-hotspots-per-screen-so-the-player-doesn't-get-confused gameplay. Leisure Suit Larry 7 - Love for Sale had the perfect adventure game interface in my opinion. Hotspots for whatever it would make sense to look at, or interact with. Multiple actions for each of them. Even text parser input if those weren't sufficient, and most important of all, intelligent feedback for whatever you try (as intelligent as can be expected from an LSL game anyway).