View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 08:55 AM   #8
Shany
I changed my title

What is your favourite point and click adventure game? Why?
Discworld 2. Funny, decent length, plenty of inventory puzzles, cartoony graphics, great voice acting and music, enough hints, and lots of rewards for progress.
It also had pretty good pacing. You spend the first chapter in one large location, then the second chapter opens lots of other locations and the third chapter occurs somewhere completely new. I hate being stuck in the same place all game, it's tiring and boring.
Monkey Island 3 is a very close second for pretty much the same reasons.

Which game do you think has the most appealing artwork? Why?
Keepsake has incredible backgrounds, but the characters are not as pretty.
Also, the upcoming Whispered World looks incredible.
I like bright and colorful worlds.

Which game do you dislike the artwork of the most? Why?
Can't think of anything specific. In general, games that have an uneven design, that combine different looking backgrounds or characters.
Also, since I like bright locations, games where everything is brown and/or dark tend to look ugly and boring.

Are there any point and click adventure games where you get very lost into the world created? Why do you think this happened?
AmerZone - Mainly the swamp. It was quiet, but it was calming and not creepy.
Moment of Silence - The space station, where everything is new and shiny, but you can see that there is nothing to do but sit by the pool.
The oil rig. Something about the solitude and being surrounded by water.
Obsidian - Again things being quiet but also relatively bright.

Which game do you think had the most impressive scenery/environments? Why?
As I said above, Keepsake.

Who is your favourite point and click adventure game character? Why?
Tough choice. I tend to like characters that fit the private eye sterotype but with a twist.
Gus McPherson from Post Mortem is uncharacterisitcally polite.
Joey Mallone from the Blackwell series (who probably isn't even a private eye) is not in the right time period and can't interact with most people (because he's a ghost).
Lewton from Discworld Noir is both in a fantasy world and is a
Spoiler:
werewolf

Which character do you dislike the most? Why?
Nina Kalenkov from Secret Files: Tunguska. (I haven't played the sequel). You know how alot of adventure games have a puzzle where the character needs to 'abuse' someone in order to get rid of them? Nina does that all the time, and instead of showing regret jokes about it.

Which character do you think is most "stylish"? Why?
No idea. But I wouldn't mind seeing more male protagonists in a suit.

What are you dying to see in a point and click game? Why?
Two things:
- Fast navigation - Leisure Suit Larry 7 for example both had a map screen and the ability to make him walk ridiculously fast. Getting everywhere fast also includes being able to take items even before you know what they are for, and to skip cutscenes and pieces of dialogue.

- Detective puzzles - like the ones in Spycraft. You could make a fake photograph, make a sketch of a suspect from a photo, analyze phone calls, compare voices, check scheduels for contradictions. It was clever and satisfying both to work on and solve correctly.
Nowadays there are only dumbed-down versions of these puzzles which is a shame because they are great and more fun to see again than mazes and sliders.

Last edited by Shany; 03-12-2010 at 09:18 AM.